Welcome to International Fake Journal Month 2013!

What is IFJM?
Please read the page "What Is IFJM" for details.
Learn the difference between Faux, Fake, and Fake Historical Journals.

2019 IFJM Celebration
IFJM has been suspended indefinitely. Please read the pinned post about this below.

Participants who Post Their Journals
A list of 2018 participants who are posting their fake journals this year will appear near the top of the right side bar of this blog around April 6. Lists of participants who posted their pages in 2010 through 2017 appear lower in the same column. Please pay them a visit and check out their fake journals.

View a Couple of Roz's Past Fake Journals
Roz's 2009 fake journal takes place in an alternate Twin Cites, where disease has killed the human and bird populations. (It ends up being an upbeat tale of friendship.) Watch a video flip through of Roz's 2009 fake journal here.

Read an explanation of Roz's insanely complex 2011 fake journal.

Tips on Keeping a Fake Journal
Click on "tips" in the category cloud.

Remember, "Life's so short, why live only one?"


Monday, May 3, 2010

Winners in the 2010 Contests and the Twentieth Entry in Roz's 2010 Fake Journal

Left: my twentieth entry in my 2010 fake journal. Click on the image to view an enlargement.

Congratulations to Kyra Sanders who won the draw for the Promotion Contest (for all those who put the Link-Button on their blogs).

Congratulations to Gina Mitsdarfer who won the draw for the Participation—Posted on Your Own Blog. (There was a subcategory for blogless folks who wanted to post on this blog but no one entered that portion of the contest.)

Both of these winners will be receiving one of the contest prize books. I have their postal addresses so as soon as the buttons are made I will be sending those out. (Gina and Kyra, you can expect a heads up post next week.)

Everyone else, whether you participated in the promotional aspect of International Fake Journal Month or participated by keeping a fake journal (or both), if you sent me your address with your entry (as requested) you will be receiving a commemorative button. (I hope to mail them next week.)

If you sent in an entry but didn't send your postal address you will have recently received an email from me asking for one. If you want a button, please reply. If I don't hear back I'll just assume you're not a button person (I know not everyone is and that's OK.)

Either way, I want to thank you all for your energetic participation in this year's festivities!

This week and next I'll continue to post the remaining pages of my fake journal and have some thoughts on my fake journal—as well as some explanations for all of you who have so patiently been reading along. I hope you'll check back for those posts. 

But even more important, start thinking about your 2011 Fake Journal!

6 comments:

Gina said...

Oh, I’m so excited to have won one of your lovely hand bound watercolor books, Roz; thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU! I’m sure the unique size will encourage all kinds of experimentation and will generate fodder for future blog posts. Can’t wait to try it with Inktense pencils, too, recently discovered and used in my Fake Journal.

E*phi said...

Congrats to the winners! Can't wait to see what they'll fill the beautiful books with on their blogs (hopefully)!
And yay for buttons! :)
I'm so looking forward to IFJM 2011!

Scrapacat said...

I am so excited! Thank you Roz - more than the prize, I am so thankful I stumbled upon this opportunity to ignore myself. At the end - I found that I did not ignore myself, but I put myself in a chrysalis for that period. I found a new pair of art wings at the end of the journey. I look forward to participating next year!
~ky

Roz Stendahl said...

Ky, I find the analogy of a chrysalis interesting. If you would like to write something more about this in a wrap-up statement I would love to post it here as a guest post or link to it on your blog. (My post today, Wednesday, asks for wrap-up links.)

So glad it was a good experience for you.

Roz Stendahl said...

Gina, the odd size of the book actually would make it perfect for your next-year's fake journal—if you can stand to wait that long to use it.

One think I have to warn you about. InkTense are EXTREMELY fugitive. I thought I had a chart up somewhere on my blog but I can't find it with a search. I did find my Derwent Graphitints chart http://rozwoundup.typepad.com/roz_wound_up/2008/10/derwent-graphit.html

InkTense pencils are every bit as bad, if not worse.

And Graphitints and InkTense fade even when not in the light (so in a closed book!) as one of my friends discovered with her Graphitints drawings http://www.flickr.com/photos/cathy-johnson/2690752098/

So please keep this in mind when making artworks with those two pencil lines. Derwent Drawing (are not watersoluble) but stand up to light tests well—so it isn't all their lines, just these two watersoluble ones mentioned.

I like Faber Castell's Albrecht Durer Watersoluble pencils for watersoluble pencils. None of the watersoluble pencil brands is perfect, but I've had good results and long-lasting results with those.

Roz Stendahl said...

E*phi, I can't wait to see either. It's almost more fun than making a book—to see what someone does with it.