Welcome to International Fake Journal Month 2013!

What is IFJM?
Please read the page "What Is IFJM" for details.
Learn the difference between Faux, Fake, and Fake Historical Journals.

2019 IFJM Celebration
IFJM has been suspended indefinitely. Please read the pinned post about this below.

Participants who Post Their Journals
A list of 2018 participants who are posting their fake journals this year will appear near the top of the right side bar of this blog around April 6. Lists of participants who posted their pages in 2010 through 2017 appear lower in the same column. Please pay them a visit and check out their fake journals.

View a Couple of Roz's Past Fake Journals
Roz's 2009 fake journal takes place in an alternate Twin Cites, where disease has killed the human and bird populations. (It ends up being an upbeat tale of friendship.) Watch a video flip through of Roz's 2009 fake journal here.

Read an explanation of Roz's insanely complex 2011 fake journal.

Tips on Keeping a Fake Journal
Click on "tips" in the category cloud.

Remember, "Life's so short, why live only one?"


Saturday, May 16, 2009

Paging through Roz's 2009 Fake Journal



I made a short, low-tech movie, using my digital mini-camera, while paging through this year's fake journal. I wanted to do this because I wanted to share the sense of moving through the pages, as opposed to simply seeing the page spread scans that were posted on this blog. Going through a book page by page gives you a different experience. Even in this low-tech movie you can get a bit of an idea of the crinkly nature of the warped pages that I have been talking about when posting about my work in this book. The presence of my hands in the frame also gives you a sense of scale. I hope you enjoy this short movie (4 mins. and 30 sec.). If the embedding doesn't work you can find the movie on You-Tube.

17 comments:

cynthia said...

loved your fake journal. Lovely drawings and I quite like the crackly sound of the paper. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Roz your journals are so beautiful! I love your paintings.

Stacy

eb said...

loved this Roz - thanks so much

I linked to you on my blog

hoping that others will enjoy...

xox - eb.

Karma said...

Just wonderful! I want to run out and get one of those Alvin notebooks and experiment myself. Did you let Alvin know about this? They would love to hear about it, I'm sure. Maybe they would even want to show it on their site???

Wonderful work as well, you certainly do see a lot of birds near you!

thanks for sharing!

Roz Stendahl said...

Karma, Stacy, eb, and Cynthia, thanks for the comments. I appreciate it and am glad you enjoyed the film. I've been away from the computer, sorry there was a delay in getting back to you all.

Karma, I probably should let Alvin know what I did in one of their books. More folks might buy them and that would mean I would probably still be able to get them! (I hate when people stop making stuff just when I come to depend on it!)

Casey said...

Roz, your journal is amazing! If I saw it in a bookstore I would immediately buy it and savor every page (and maybe even sleep with it under my pillow). Your birds are beyond fabulous!

Roz Stendahl said...

Casey, that's very sweet. I'm glad you enjoyed it. The story in the journal is pretty dark though, so it would probably give you nightmares under your pillow.

Marianne said...

A late comment but just wanted to say that I love your FJ and all your drawinges & journals! And indeed the crispy sound of the painted pages adds a dimension.
Thanks for sharing!

Roz Stendahl said...

Marianne, so glad you enjoyed it! Thanks.

sandy said...

I haven't been around for months but checked in tonight and enjoyed the video and also looking through prior posts to see the rest of the fake journaling you did, that I missed. Hope I can join in next year.

Roz Stendahl said...

Sandy, sorry your post didn't get posted right away. I have been so busy with work and of course STATE FAIR PREPARATION (check out my regular blog: http://www.rozwoundup.typepad.com for info about the Fair, starting with my August 12th post and continuing, and continuing.

But in the meantime, thanks for writing in. I'm so sorry you weren't able to join in this year, but I hopw you will mark your calendar, and like me, start gearing up at the beginning of March for the big event: IFJM!!! (April of course).

Apple said...

Great journal...I love the sketches!! :)

Roz Stendahl said...

Apple, I'm sorry I didn't get your comment posted in a timely fashion! I let this blog fall below my radar the past few weeks as it isn't time to start revving up for 2010 yet! But I appreciate you stopping by and taking time to watch the video and of course comment. I hope you'll join us next year and keep a fake journal of your own. Please check back in February 2010 when things start getting in gear!

Anonymous said...

LOVE your journal! The point-of-view of the birds is so interesting. The variety is amazing. I want to look and look at it!

Roz Stendahl said...

Anonymous—glad you enjoyed it. Hope you liked the sound too. I still like to hear those pages crinkling and cracking.
Roz

TeriPower said...

What does the text say in general? is this something we could do for this april? Is there a theme? more information please.

Roz Stendahl said...

Teri
if you go to this post
http://officialinternationalfakejournalblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/view-rozs-first-page-spread-from-her.html

which is the first page spread in the 2009 journal about which you are asking, you'll be able to see a still photo of it, and I've typed up the text for the day so it's readable (without having to read my handwriting in the image).

And as you go through each of the posts after that you'll find another entry again with image and transcribed text so you can read along.

The character is in an alternate Twin Cities, 2009, but after an epidemic of some sort. She's studying birds.

There is no theme to IFJM in general, each artist simply picks his or her own character and approaches it from the first person, dating each entry as he or she goes along during the month.

You can look at the top of the blog for links on how to join in, and there will be posts in a week or so about this year's specifics, i.e. whether there will be a contest, whether there will be buttons, that sort of thing. Also I'll so start to write about some tips, but you can get all that by reading from the beginning of the blog, the first few posts before April 2009 give details on how and why to keep a fake journal.

Hope you consider joining in this year.

Best wishes
Roz