Welcome to International Fake Journal Month 2013!

What is IFJM?
Please read the page "What Is IFJM" for details.
Learn the difference between Faux, Fake, and Fake Historical Journals.

2019 IFJM Celebration
IFJM has been suspended indefinitely. Please read the pinned post about this below.

Participants who Post Their Journals
A list of 2018 participants who are posting their fake journals this year will appear near the top of the right side bar of this blog around April 6. Lists of participants who posted their pages in 2010 through 2017 appear lower in the same column. Please pay them a visit and check out their fake journals.

View a Couple of Roz's Past Fake Journals
Roz's 2009 fake journal takes place in an alternate Twin Cites, where disease has killed the human and bird populations. (It ends up being an upbeat tale of friendship.) Watch a video flip through of Roz's 2009 fake journal here.

Read an explanation of Roz's insanely complex 2011 fake journal.

Tips on Keeping a Fake Journal
Click on "tips" in the category cloud.

Remember, "Life's so short, why live only one?"


Monday, May 2, 2016

April 14 Entry in Roz's 2016 Fake Journal

Above: 10 x 16 inch cold press watercolor board
with watercolor and rubberstamp ink.

Above: Detail of the color swatches at the base of the entry.

Above: Detail of the face—pencil sketch with watercolor.
The above three images are from the same entry and show the type of thing my character is doing with pencil and watercolor. As usual, click on the images to view an enlargement.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Hi Roz,

I'm a lurker on this year's IFJM (I took a workshop with Timothy Ely and went in a different direction with my art journal this April) and really appreciate your posts!

I'm curious about how you constructed this page -- particularly the gray border. Did you mask off the central rectangle and swatch area? Or is one or the other actually made up of separate paper added later?

Love the contrast between the orange portrait background and that dramatic gray swirl frame -- very moody and perfect for the subject! As always, your compositions and palettes are inspiring.

Roz Stendahl said...

Kathy, thanks for checking in. I just started applying masking tape to the board to get shapes that I wanted to work with. And then it sat for a day and I didn't want to work with those shapes after all so I masked more and it turned out to work. My character has a much more lax approach to this type of thing than I do. And in my journal while I like to think I'm pretty lax and go with the flow this month showed me that wasn't quite accurate.

So get yourself some masking tape in various sizes and have some fun!

Roz Stendahl said...

Kathy, I have to make an additional comment, I actually looked at the piece again, the digital image, after I commented to you. I know I used frisket on first and then didn't like those shapes and added masking tape to other areas.

This was early in the project and I gave up on using frisket because I couldn't find any high tack locally and the "extra tack" I could find wasn't holding well to the cold press watercolor board's texture. I could see that on this piece, and that jogged my memory.

And also, always test frisket or artist's masking tape on your paper samples before trying an actual job. I didn't do that on day two or 3 and the tape tore up the paper I was using.

Kathy said...

Many thanks for the details!

I selected the paper for my current art journal in a bit of a rush and it only juuuuust barely tolerates masking tape, if I'm very patient removing it. But it *does* tolerate it, so I'll give it a go. I really love the frames you create on some pages, and want to play with that a bit.

I'm a "frisket-phobe" after a bad experience, although I've had fun with masking sheets/films. Come to think of it, maybe now is a good time to get over my frisket phobia.

There, just took care of my art "agenda" for this evening! I love that working "in character" has lead to insight about your habits/perspective as an artist. Last time I did IFJM (last year) I got really caught up in the story, but not so much "in character", and forgot about the real advantage of approaching art from a new "personality". Time to give that an honest try as well.

:-)